Thursday, November 17, 2011

Finally killed a Deer!

I didn’t hunt as much last year because I was so busy concentrating on my running. I haven’t killed a deer since the doe and and her button buck son over Thanksgiving weekend in 2009. I did shoot a doe during bow season with my crossbow and broke an arrow off in her. She fell down and did a couple of flips but then ran far, far away and I never found her. I swore I would never hunt with a bow again...such a waste. If I would have had my 30.06 that day I could have killed two at one time with one shot! They were perfectly lined up! Anyway, this is what I killed this past weekend.
I know, it’s not very big, and at the time I thought it was a doe, but when we went to load it in the Ranger I noticed it had testicles....and then I was really excited when I noticed it had little horns. My hubby said, “You should have let him get bigger,” and I said, “For what, so he can be tough and musky? I hunt meat...not horns.” He was also pretty aggravated with me because I had cleaned house and raked the yards in the clothes I had on. Didn’t even spray on any “scent away” stuff. Just put on a camo shirt and hat over my clothes and went to the stand to read....I mean....hunt and relax :)

So here’s a video of us cleaning it up...do not watch if you’re squeamish. Just kidding! It took us about twenty times that long to clean it. I took out the two strips of meat that run along the back bone from the inside...I think they’re called tenderloins...the outer strips are the back strap, and this is what we had for breakfast the next morning.
Fried deer steak and hoe cake....breakfast of Deer Slayers...and then I went for a 4 mile run to burn it all off!

So I’ll be busy this weekend processing the rest of the deer...but maybe I can sneak in another hunting trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment